This Forum has been archivedVisit the new Forums
To establish a consistency for future naming, I think now it's a good chance to decide which name will be used as "OFFICIAL" naming, due to differences that occur between light novels and anime. Please leave reply, with your choices and name.
- Lyfa OR Leafa?
- Swilvane OR Sylvain?
- Alne OR Aarun?
For reference, these are the facts:
- 1. In Light Novel volume 3 and 4, the novel uses term "Lyfa", "Aarun" and "Sylvain"
- After hearing this, the young man named Kirito laughed with a smile on his face. Lyfa looked at his smile and thought it was a smile from the heart. People who are able to laugh so openly and show such emotion in the VR world are rare.
- "Isn't the town of Sylvain closer?"
- Lyfa turned away to hide the cheeks that had become hot. In ALO, because there are wings to fly, other means of instantaneous movement do not exist. Therefore, journeying to the center of the world, the world tree, and the capital of ALfheim, «Aarun» is just like a journey in the real world. Moreover, to offer to make this journey with a young man she had just met a few hours ago, this was behavior that even Lyfa thought was incredible.
- 2. In Light Novel volume 8, the novel uses term "Leafa", "Alne" and "Swilvane"
- A year ago, after departing from the Sylph capital and while aiming for the central city Alne, Suguha (Leafa) and I (Kirito) finally saw the world tree. But we were immediately swallowed by a giant worm monster, and passed through its digestive tract, then dropped into the Underworld, Jötunheimr.
Currently he was a permanent member of the Lord manor staff in Swilvane town, I had played together with him for a brief period of time when Aincrad was over the sky of the Sylph territory.
First Come First Serve Basis
As the creator, I'll answer first with my opinion. Since the term "Lyfa", "Sylvain" and "Aarun" comes earlier than the rest, I think we should using it as the official naming for them. First come, first serve basis :)
Well, for Sylvain and Aarun, i'd be likely to agree. However, the anime show's the Romanji spelling for "Lyfa" to actually be Leafa. I believe someone on the site pointed this out on one of the episodes, where you see her looking at her screen, I think on her first or second episode. Unless there's evidence that Sylvain and Aarun are incorrect spellings, I think those two should be left alone..
TUSF 13:43, December 18, 2012 (UTC)
:If you did not know, Hao-samaand Dim1 creates the rules, including the names that we use throughtout the wiki. You can see the names on the message board in the Recent Wiki Activity. Athletiger Talk~Diana Chen 16:05, December 18, 2012 (UTC)
- I do know about those rules, but since the name I listed here isn't listed there yet, so I make the forum to facilitate about them. Maybe Hao-sama or Dim1 can update the rules based on this forum result. Tbh, all names in Fairy Dance arc haven't been listed yet. the list only consist of names from Aincrad Arc, such as: Klein, Agil, Kuradeel, etc.
It might be tough to change them, but we'll follow the HP bar in the anime. We all know that they consulted Kawahara Reki when making the anime.
- Shoot. Well, message me if we need an extra hand to go on an editing spree. Athletiger Talk~Diana Chen 23:10, December 18, 2012 (UTC)
- You can mail me as well if you need some helpers on editing :) I can work around 4am to 4pm UTC daily.
- Ethrundr (talk) 04:14, December 19, 2012 (UTC)
- I just want to reopen the discussion about the naming of "Sylvain" and "Aarun", as I've come across the spelling of their names on a sign (see image) in episode 19 of the anime, while looking for other things. In the anime, the spellings appear to be "Swilvane" and "Alne", which is probably why the later LN translations use this spelling for them. Should we change the name of the articles accordingly or leave it as it is?
- Gsimenas (talk) 19:00, March 11, 2013 (UTC)
- Well, back when I created this forum, there is some problem based on this event. Someone comes in and rename all the articles based on that signboard appears on the Anime. From that, I tried to discuss it with the other active editors at that time with the so-called "LN Proof". We know that Aniplex will ask Reki first about the naming and their romanization, but we takes more tendencies from the LN, but somehow the term "Swilvane" and "Alne" only appears once in the anime and it's quite weak to be considered as official notes. However, as I believe you also aware, there are two forms of naming in the LN. Up to volume 7, I believe the LN (english translated) still used terms "Sylvain" and "Aarun". The term "Alne" and "Swilvane" only appears around LN volume 8 Caliber SS. In my own opinion, I rather used "Sylvain" and "Aarun", since they appear more than the other two, unless there is any official notes about the naming. For the term "Leafa", its alreafy have enough enclosures on the Anime, so I think it'll counted as indirect official note, so we'll use "Leafa" instead "Lyfa".
- Ethrundr (Local Talkpage) 20:35, March 11, 2013 (UTC)
Well, I wasn't here when you were discussing this, so I had no idea how were the official names decided. I just found that sign and noticed that it wasn't mentioned in this post, so I posted it, in case it had any significance, but I did not change anything else. And, actually, in the versions I've read (PDF by Beginner XP), I don't recall Alne or Swilvane ever being used and, to be honest, I do prefer the Sylvain and Aarun spellings myself, but as an editor, I feel that I have the responsibility to get all facts straight to make sure the information on the wiki is correct, which is why I reopened this discussion.
- I clearly knows that, as my reason opening this forum is similar with yours. For now, as I've already said, we just can only wait for the offiical notes about those two trivial things. Right?
- Also, I created sort of conclusion about this discussion in my profile page. You can access it by clicking this link.
Yeah, I guess you are right. And, actually, I had seen that table before, but had problems finding it a second time, when I wanted to confirm the official naming on the towns (typical of me :D)
- Lol I don't blame you, Ethrundr's profile page is huge, and I'd just like to add that I think Sylvain and Aarun look better to the eye when reading, the other two look like they don't fit.
Actually, there's a content section on his profile that makes it much easier to find a specific topic. The problem was finding whose profile had it. And about the names, I have to agree with you. Aarun and Sylvain look a whole lot better to the eye when reading than the other two.