- This article is about the real life game adaptation of the Sword Art Online story. You may be looking for the game or the list of virtual realities in the series.
|Non Canon: Some or all events and details given in this article, may be considered non-canon to the main story.|
Sword Art Online games are real life game adaptations of the original Sword Art Online light novel series, written by Kawahara Reki. There are seven currently known major officially licensed game adaptations.
- 1 Console/PC Games
- 2 Mobile Games
- 3 Board Game
- 4 Cooperators
- 5 Miscellaneous
- 6 External Links
- 7 Notes
- 8 References
- 9 Navigation
Sword Art Online: Infinity Moment
- Main article: Sword Art Online: Infinity Moment
Sword Art Online: Infinity Moment is a PlayStation Portable (PSP) game released on March 14, 2013. It is a non-canon story that takes place on the 76th to 100th floors of the Sword Art Online version of Aincrad, branching off from the main story during Kirito's duel with Heathcliff on the 75th Floor. This game is only available in Japanese and, so far, has already sold more than 200,000 copies. Its official game guide has been on sale since April 20, 2013.
Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment
- Main article: Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment
Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment is a Role-playing game on the PlayStation Vita (PS Vita) platform that was released on April 24, 2014. It is set in the same alternative timeline as Sword Art Online: Infinity Moment and includes a new character Philia, who is voiced by Ishikawa Yui. Compared to the previous PSP game, a burst gauge, which allows continuous attacks as long as the player has enough burst energy left, was added to its battle system. Certain play data from the previous Infinity Moment game can be imported into this game. Its official game guide has been available since May 23, 2014. An Asian Chinese and English version has been released by May, 2014, while another English version for America, Europe and Australia was released by August 2014. The game introduced a major update by July-September, 2014, depending on the version of the game, and another guidebook named after the update has also been published in Japan.
A port of this game was released on the PlayStation 4 as Sword Art Online: Re: Hollow Fragment on July 28, 2015 in North America, on August 4, 2015 in Europe, and on November 19, 2015 in Japan. The game is also playable on Playstation 5 through backwards compatibility, but does not feature a PS5 optimization patch.
Sword Art Online: Lost Song
- Main article: Sword Art Online: Lost Song
Sword Art Online: Lost Song is an Action RPG which was released in Japan for both PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita on March 26, 2015. The game has also been released for the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita in the PAL region on November 13, 2015 and on November 17, 2015 in North America. Lost Song has received the Gold Prize in the PlayStation Awards 2016.
For the first time in the series, Lost Song allows players to play as characters other than Kirito. It will also allow for a limited form of character customization. Parties in this game allow up to three characters at a time. A flight system is featured in the game, allowing players to switch between ground and flight modes at will, though dungeon battles are mostly fought on the ground.
A port of Lost Song has been released on the PlayStation 4 in Japan, the Americas, and the PAL territories in 2015. The game is also playable on Playstation 5 through backwards compatibility, but does not feature a PS5 optimization patch.
Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization
- Main article: Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization
A fourth game in the main Sword Art Online game series was announced at the 2015 Tokyo Game Show and provisionally named as "SAO IV". It was revealed as Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization at the Dengeki Bunko Autumn Festival on October 4, 2015; the game was released for the PlayStation Vita and PlayStation 4 on October 27, 2016 in Japan and November 8, 2016 in the West. The game is also playable on Playstation 5 through backwards compatibility, but does not feature a PS5 optimization patch.
Accel World VS Sword Art Online: Millennium Twilight
- Main article: Accel World VS Sword Art Online: Millennium Twilight
A crossover title incorporating both the Sword Art Online and Accel World franchises, titled Accel World VS Sword Art Online: Millennium Twilight, was released for the Playstation 4 and Playstation Vita on March 16, 2017 in Japan and July 7, 2017 in the West. The game is also playable on Playstation 5 through backwards compatibility, but does not feature a PS5 optimization patch.
Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet
- Main article: Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet
Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet is a Third Person Shooter Role-Playing Game, released on February 8, 2018 on the PlayStation 4, Xbox One in Japan, on February 24, 2018 on Personal Computers (PCs) via Steam in Japan, and on February 23, 2018 for all the aforementioned consoles in the West. The game was developed by Dimps, based on Unreal Engine 4, and is set in Gun Gale Online. The game is also playable on Playstation 5 and Xbox Series X/S through backwards compatibility, but does not feature a next-gen optimization patch.
Sword Art Online: Alicization Lycoris
- Main article: Sword Art Online: Alicization Lycoris
Sword Art Online: Alicization Lycoris is a Japanese Role Playing Game (JRPG) developed by Aquria and published by Bandai Namco for the PlayStation 4 in Japan on July 9, 2020 and for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Personal Computers (PC) through Steam worldwide on July 10, 2020. The game adapts the first half of the Alicization Arc from the novels and anime with an addition of original scenes and characters, before branching from the canon story during the battle against Quinella (Administrator) into an original story route. The game is also playable on Playstation 5 and Xbox Series X/S through backwards compatibility, but does not feature a next-gen optimization patch.
Sword Art Online: End World
Sword Art Online: End World (ソードアート・オンライン エンドワールド?) was a freemium GREE social game with more than 1.3 million registered players. Initially launched in September 2012, the game suffered from technical problems, rendering it unavailable until its relaunch in February 2013. Since then, the game ran for more than four years, until it was discontinued in September 2017. The game could be played via mobile browsers, but a Japanese geolocation was necessary.
A book called «Sword Art Online: End World Visual Book with Special Item Attached» was released on October 27, 2014.
Sword Art Online: Code Register
Sword Art Online: Code Register (ソードアート・オンライン コード・レジスタ?) is an RPG released on Android on December 16, 2014 and subsequently on iOS on December 24, 2014.Its theme is "an RPG that connects all things together", with SAO, ALO and GGO being its stage. The game runs in freemium mode. It has been downloaded more than 3 million times.
Sword Art Online: Progress Link
Sword Art Online: Progress Link (ソードアート・オンライン プログレス・リンク?) was an RPG released on iOS and Android on February 10, 2015. It was an ALO-based game where players could choose their own race, as well as use Sword Skill and magic. The game operated via the Mobage platform. To mark the one-year anniversary of the game being in service, its title was changed to Progress Link Infinity (プログレス・リンク インフィニティ?) and large updates to the game were made. The game was terminated on July 29, 2016.
Sword Art Online: Memory Defrag
Sword Art Online: Memory Defrag (ソードアート・オンライン メモリー・デフラグ?) is an Android and iOS game that was announced during an official live stream on June 27, 2016. It was released on Android on August 22, 2016 and iOS on August 30, 2016 in Japan. In addition to the Japanese release, the game is also available in Chinese and English. The story has elements from the anime series, as well as an original story. Before the game was released, pre-registration was available. Players who had pre-registered received bonuses, the number of which depended on the number of pre-registrations.  As of December 2016, the game has been declared as the most trendy game in 2016 at Google Play Store.
An international edition of the game, translated into English and Chinese, was released on Google Play and App Store in Australia, Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, Indonesia, Italy, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Taiwan, Hong Kong, United Kingdom, and the United States in January 2017.
Memory Defrag ended its service on August 30th, 2021. 
Sword Art Online: Integral Factor
Sword Art Online: Integral Factor (ソードアート・オンライン インテグラル・ファクター?) is an Android and iOS freemium game, announced during Tokyo Game Show 2017 on September 23, 2017 and was released globally on March 26, 2018. The game is an Online RPG. The game takes place in Sword Art Online, where players can use their own avatar to clear the game, alongside a partner named Koharu (コハル?). The game will allow players to create their own story of clearing Aincrad from the start of the SAO Incident in 2022. A prologue comic was distributed for free during the Dengeki Fall Festival of 2017 and was also released free of charge via the internet in October 2017.
Sword Art Online: Alicization Blading
Sword Art Online: Alicization Blading (ソードアート・オンライン アリシゼーション・ブレイディング?), known as Sword Art Online: Alicization Rising Steel in the English localization of the game, is an Android and iOS freemium game, announced by Bandai Namco Entertainment at the Sword Art Online Beater's Meeting 2019 at Belle Salle Akihabara on August 18, 2019.. It was released globally on November 20, 2019 as the first Strategic Turn-Based RPG in the mobile game franchise.
The Black Swordsman
The Black Swordsman (Japanese: 黒衣剣士?, Chinese: 黑衣剑士) is a Chinese 3D RPG game where the player can control 3D characters and experience Sword Art Online, ALfheim Online, and Gun Gale Online. It is developed by Yun Chang Game under Bandai Namco's supervision . The game is currently being distributed and is operating under Bandai Namco Shanghai, Bandai Namco Entertainment and Qihoo 360 on Chinese platforms.  The game was launched on Android in May 26, 2016 and on iOS in June 9, 2016 after a brief period of closed beta, though it is officially still in an "open beta" phase.
Sword Art Online Board Game: Sword of Fellows (ソードアート・オンライン ボードゲーム ソード・オブ・フェローズ?) is a board game based on the Aincrad arc. In the game, the players assume the roles of Kirito, Asuna, and other anime characters in their quest to defeat monsters to survive and climb to the highest level of Aincrad. The game set includes six character cards, ten scenario cards, eight item cards, one support card, four main dice, four support dice, six-character dice, and thirty tokens. The required time for one play is about thirty minutes, while the suggested age is ten or more.
- Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax[† 1]
- Dengeki Bunko Puzzle Collection
- Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Out of Order[† 2]
- God Eater 2: Rage Burst[† 3]
- Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth[† 4]
- Accel World[† 5]
- Cooperating Online Games:
- Dungeon Fighter Online
- Trading card games:
- Weiß Schwarz
- Five qross
- Yome Collection
- Sword Art Quest - A number of promotional activities provided on the anime official site for users to complete to obtain awards. Currently ended and removed from the official site, though still accessible via entering Aniplex's URL.
- Sword Art Quest II - Similar to Sword Art Quest, but changed into the form of Android/iOS apps.
- Sword Art Online fone - an android app that replaces the user's phone's launcher and provides leveling and guild-forming features. The app's beta edition was released in December 2013, and its official release had been targeted at Spring 2014.
- SAO-LOG OUT- - an SAO-themed android game being sold via Google Play, priced at around 2.77 USD.
- Sword Art Online Guild Members - A level up system hosted on the SAO game portal site.
- Sword Art Online Game Portal Site (Official) (Japanese)[† 6]
- Sword Art Online Games English Official Site
- Sword Art Online: Infinity Moment Official Site (Japanese)
- Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment Official Site (Japanese)
- Sword Art Online: Lost Song Official Site (Japanese)
- Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization Official Site (Japanese)
- Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet Official Site (Japanese)
- Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet Official Site (English)
- Sword Art Online: End World Official Site (Japanese)
- Sword Art Online: Code Register Official Site (Japanese)
- Sword Art Online: Progress Link Official Wiki (Japanese)
- Sword Art Online: Memory Defrag Official Site (Japanese)
- Sword Art Online: Memory Defrag Official Site (English)
- Sword Art Online: Memory Defrag Official Site (Chinese)
- Sword Art Online: Integral Factor Official Site (Japanese)
- Sword Art Online: Integral Factor Official Site (English)
- The Black Swordsman Official Site (Chinese)
- Sword Art Online: Alicization Rising Steel Official Site (English)
- Sword Art Online Board Game: Sword of Fellows (Japanese)
- Japanese Wikipedia Article about different SAO Games
- Both Kirito and Asuna are playable characters in Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax, while Leafa is listed as a support character. The game was released in North America and Europe in October 2015 for PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita, while an updated version, Ignition, was released in Japan for PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, and PlayStation 4 in December 2015.
- Kirito and Asuna costumes have been made available in Out of Order, while male and female First High School uniforms will appear for Hollow Fragment.
- A cross-promotion with God Eater 2: Rage Burst has provided a Julius costume for Kirito and an Alisa outfit for Asuna in Lost Song.
- As part of a cross-promotion with Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth, a PS Vita theme featuring Agumon and "Kirito-san" mascots was released in Japan on April 7, 2015.
- Kuroyukihime was included as part of the "Weapons Instrumentalist" update to Lost Song.
- The portal site has been re-organized as the βeater's Cafe, which includes a Guild point system for members to acquire.
- SAO: HF official site, world setting section
- Her introduction on the official site
- USA PlayStation Store
- EU PlayStation Store
- JP PlayStation Store
- Bandai Namco EU tweet.
- PlayStation US store
- Sword Art Online: Lost Song introduces new area Vorklinde, PS Vita limited edition
- First Sword Art Online: Lost Song gameplay details
- First look at Sword Art Online: Lost Song
- Fourth Sword Art Online game announced
- Second trailer for Sword Art Online Hollow Realization
- Dengeki Online article announcing Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization for PS4 and PS Vita, via http://gematsu.com/2015/10/sword-art-online-hollow-realization-announced-ps4-ps-vita
- Release date announcement from Bandai Namco US
- Official Accel World VS Sword Art Online game site
- Western release announcement from Bandai Namco US
- Amazon product description page
- Dengeki announcement article
- Bandai Namco's introduction
- Official tweets for celebration campaign
- Recording of the end of service announcement
- Sword Art Online - Google Play
- Dengeki Online Page
- Dengeki Online Page
- Online Page
- Memory Defrag Official Chinese Page
- Memory Defrag Official English Page
- Dengeki Online article about the announcement of Memory Defrag (article translation by Gematsu).
- Google Japan Blog
- Sword Art Online: Memory Defrag and One Piece: Thousand Storm now available in the west
- Tweet by Memory Defrag producer for the end of service
- Article covering official press release from Bandai Namco
- Dengeki article on the announcement of the Integral Factor game
- Game PV
- Dengeki online article on the IF comic distribution
- SAO Wikia's coverage of the Beater's Meeting 2019 event.
- "Sword Art Online" Getting a Board Game Adaptation Titled "Sword of Fellows"[Clarification needed]
- Sword Art Online Board Game: Sword of Fellows announcement press release published by Kadokawa
- Multilingual release announcement by Tianwen Kadokawa
- Japanime Games delay announcement
- Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax English opening movie
- Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax Ignition coming to PS4, PS3, and PS Vita
- Dengeki Online article revealing Kuroyukihime, via http://gematsu.com/2015/05/accel-world-kuroyukihime-joins-sword-art-online-lost-song
- βeater's Cafe information page
|Console Games Navigation Bar|
|Sword Art Online Other Media Navigation Bar|