Phantom Bullet (ファントム・バレット, Fantomu Baretto?) is the thirteenth episode of the Sword Art Online II anime adaptation, as well as the thirteenth episode in the Phantom Bullet Arc. It aired on September 27, 2014.
Plot[edit | edit source]
While watching Kirito's (Kirigaya Kazuto) struggle with Sterben, Sinon (Asada Shino) wondered if there was anything that she could do to help now that her scope was destroyed and she thus could not snipe. Meanwhile in the real world, Yuuki Asuna and Nurse Aki noticed that Kazuto's heart rate had increased, almost to the point where he might suffer from dehydration. However, they acknowledged that they could not directly reach him, but Yui told Asuna to hold Kazuto's hand as the warmth from her hand would reach him.
Back in Gun Gale Online (GGO), while trying to hold out against Sterben's overwhelming speed and get an opening to counter attack, Kirito tried to recall the name Sterben had in Sword Art Online. Just as he was about to be struck again, he recalled, based on Sterben's red eyes, that the player used to be called «Red-eyed XaXa». Surprised by hearing his name, Sterben missed his target. Then, while his sense of judgement was slowed down, Sinon aimed a Bullet Line towards Sterben, causing him to instinctively avoid it, even though Sinon did not fire. During this opening, Kirito tried to counterattack, but Sterben used his optical camouflage to disappear. At this moment, Kirito felt the warmth of Asuna's hands and remembered about the FN Five-Seven that he had as his side-arm. He then used the pistol to shoot at Sterben, causing his camouflage to malfunction, and used his photon sword to slice through Sterben. In his dying breath, Sterben claimed that it was not over, but Kirito replied that he would find his partner.
In the aftermath, Sinon and Kirito exchanged contact details and Kirito planned to call his employer to send police over to Sinon's apartment and also planned to head over there as well. As Kirito was in a bad shape at that moment, Sinon told him that they could settle their rivalry in the next Bullet of Bullets tournament. Sinon then tricked Kirito by casually handing him an activated Plasma Grenade and then hugged him to prevent him from throwing it away. The grenade's explosion killed them simultaneously, allowing them both to be the winners of the tournament.
Back in her apartment, Shino checked for intruders, but instead found Shinkawa Kyouji at the door, who came to congratulate her on winning the tournament. However, after the two had a conversation about the tournament, Kyouji began acting strange and tried embracing Shino while confessing his love for her, causing her to push him off her. Kyouji then took out a syringe of a lethal drug, and revealed that he was one of Death Gun's accomplices and the brother of the person who was controlling Sterben during the tournament. Kyouji explained that he created Death Gun and murdered XeXeeD because he had lied about agility-type characters being the strongest in GGO and thus ruining Kyouji's avatar. He also explained that he now intended to kill Shino so that they could be reborn in another world. Paralyzed by fear, Shino was about to accept death, until she remembered that Kirito would come to her apartment and put himself in danger for her. Just then, her avatar Sinon appeared in her mind and told her to fight to protect others. Determined to protect Kazuto, Shino managed to break free and tried running out of the apartment, but, as she was about to open the door, Kyouji caught her. Just then, Kazuto ran into the room and attacked Kyouji. Kazuto told Shino to flee, but Shino froze, recognizing Kazuto as Kirito.
Inventory[edit | edit source]
Sword Skills Imitations[edit | edit source]
- «Star Splash»
- «Double Circular»
Locations[edit | edit source]
- ISL Ragnarok
- Toritsu Central Hospital
- Asada Shino's apartment
Adaptation Notes[edit | edit source]
- Adapted from Volume 6, Chapters 14-15
- The dialogue where Sinon revealed her address was muted, while Kirito merely stated that he was diving somewhere nearby.
- Sinon did not begin to explain the whereabouts of the Gift Grenade as she handed it to Kirito.
- The scene where Kirito was to throw the grenade was changed to him juggling it like a hot potato.
- In the novel, Sinon was the one who looked at the rankings, but in the anime, Kirito was the one shown to be looking at the rankings.
- The dialogue where Kyouji described Kirito threatening Sinon in the cave was omitted.
- Kyouji placed the syringe at Shino's side, rather than on her neck. The explanation that the drug was succinylcholine was omitted.
- The fact that Kyouji did not intend to inject the drug into Shino in the first place, until he was rejected, was omitted.
- The scene where Kyouji showed Shino his horribly low test scores was omitted.
- The scene where Shino threatened Kyouji with the Procyon SL was omitted.